Best Destinations for Summer 2018
It's time to start planning for Summer 2018! We've rounded up a few trip ideas to inspire your next getaway. Whether you want to discover the whitewashed hilltowns and blissfully undeveloped beaches in the “heel” of Italy’s boot, explore the rugged coastline and velvety wines of the Duoro in Portugal, or take in the dramatic landscape of Iceland, the land of volcanoes and glaciers, our travel experts can help you plan your trip. Where will you go next?
Experience the unparalleled natural beauty of Iceland’s rugged fjords, lush valleys and stunning coastline this summer. Whether you want an active adventure, a family-friendly expedition, or a little bit of both, the land of Fire and Ice will not disappoint. On your Iceland adventure you can trek across glistening glaciers and otherworldly lava fields, soak in steaming geothermal waters, explore black sand beaches in the shadow of towering volcanoes, or take an epic road trip on the Golden Circle past thundering waterfalls and ancient craters. Unwind after your travels as you savor traditional Icelandic cuisine and delight in folktales of elves and trolls.
- Hike across ancient glaciers.
- Relax in the steaming, geothermal waters of the famed Blue Lagoon.
- Hit the trail on the backs of Icelandic Horses and revel in the breathtaking island scenery.
- Explore the awe-inspiring Gullfoss waterfall.
- Search for carnival colored puffins and spot humpback whales as you sail along the rugged coast.
- Experience the midnight sun as you hike in the shadow of the powerful Eyjafjallajökull volcano.
This compact country is big on culture, history and natural beauty, making it one of the hottest travel destinations in the past few years. Immerse yourself in the Old World charm of Lisbon, the vibrant capital city. Meander through the cobbled alleyways of the city's surrounding hilltop neighborhoods, savor exquisite Portuguese cuisine or indulge in the city’s legendary party scene. Or follow the call to the beach and swim in the azure waters surrounding the Algarve region, home to some of the most beautiful beaches in all of Europe. If you are looking for a more active vacation, Portugal's varied terrain offers a multitude of activities ranging from a leisurely bike ride past medieval castles and olive groves to kayaking past vineyards and ancient forests to surfing along Portugal’s stunning coastline.
- Sea Cave Tour in the Algarve
- Biking through the Duoro Valley
- Private wine tastings in the lush Duoro Valley
- Surf lessons in Lisbon
- Lisbon Culinary Tour
- Canoeing or kayaking
- Free diving, waterfall rappelling, volcano hikes and whale watching in the Azores
The heel of Italy’s boot boasts sun-baked coastlines, ancient Baroque cities, dramatic caves, and honey-hued villages, not to mention some of the best cuisine in Italy. Typically a vacation area for Italian families, the region, while growing in popularity beyond Italy’s borders, remains blissfully unspoiled. Puglia is flanked by two crystal blue seas – the Adriatic and the Ionian – and its southern exposure offers miles of stunning beaches, but this is not your average beach vacation. In Puglia you can wander the narrow streets of whitewashed medieval cities carved into limestone cliffs, immerse yourself in the areas ancient history, explore 13th century citadels and ornate churches, or while away the hours discovering charming fishing villages along the region’s wild coastline.
- Soak up the sun on the unspoiled beaches that dot the coastline.
- See the trulli (traditional Apulian dry stone huts) in Alberobello.
- Admire the Baroque splendor of Lecce, nicknamed the “Florence of the South.”
- Take a spin on the The Ciclovia dell'Acquedotto Pugliese, or Apulian Aqueduct Cycle Route, a 500 km cycling and hiking path that follows the historical pipelines of the largest aqueduct in Europe.
- Tour the the awe-inspiring Castellana Caves.
- Enjoy a private tasting of the delicious wines of Salento