The summer months get all the vacation love but autumn travel means smaller crowds, lower prices, and comfortable temps for exploring. Luckily, you can still squeeze in a getaway in the coming months or get a head start on next year's fall escape. Here are just a few of our suggested getaways from city breaks to beach escapes.
Foodie Escapes and City Breaks
Ditch the crowds and head to a European capital this fall. Rome, Lisbon, Paris are foodie paradises and are the ideal autumn stops for those seeking a respite from the heat and masses during the summer vacation period.
- In Rome, sample some of the country's best cuisine at hidden gems and local favorites like Roscioli in Trastevere, have the Colosseum practically to yourself during a night tour, or zip through the streets on the back of a vespa with your guide. Rest your head at some of the city's newest hotels - the luxurious Hotel de Ville at the top of the Spanish Steps or the trendy G Rough Hotel in Piazza Navona.
- If Portugal is calling your name, Lisbon will not disappoint. Make the charming AlmaLusa your base as you explore the cobblestoned streets of Alfama, dine at hot spots - Ai Civiccheria and 100 Maneiras - or explore the stunning coastline of Caiscais, just 40 minutes from the city center.
- Paris is never a bad choice but autumn in Paris is pure joy. Hit the Marais district for the best falafel and for crepes served from an open window; duck into Poilane bakery for an out-of-this-world apple tart or a loaf of crusty bread as you stroll the charming streets of St. Germain, or take in one of the dozen of art exhibits throughout the city.
Still Chasing the Sun...
Sometimes it's hard to say goodbye to those warm summer days. If you aren't quite ready you can still find beaches to satisfy that craving.
- This fall be one of the first to check out the newest addition to the Los Cabos scene - The Four Seasons Resort Los Cabos at Costa Palmas™, nestled on 2 miles of untouched beachfront on the Sea of Cortez.
- Want to really get away? The Greek islands really come into their own in the fall - after the tourists have left and the locals settle into their lazy routines. For spectacular beaches skip the usual suspects and dip your toes into the stunning blue waters of the Ionian islands - dreamy Kefalonia, stunning Zakynthos (sea caves and turtles are a bonus!) and charming Corfu.
- For a US vacay - low rainfall and lower prices make fall an ideal time to visit the Hawaiian Islands. And there is no shortage of activities for when you tire of basking in the sun - explore secret swim holes in Kauai, take surf lessons on Waikiki Beach in Oahu, even volunteer at The Hawaiian Monk Sea Hospital on the Big Island.
- A little closer to home, you can't go wrong with Southern California's spectacular beaches - Stay at the Montage at Laguna Beach or the funky Surfrider in Malibu. From San Diego to Malibu Beach it's nothing but surf, sun, and sand.
For Full-on Leaf Peeping
If you prefer your autumn travel with a side of colorful foliage and a warm sweater, don't despair, there are still options available.
- New England is certainly a favorite - Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont will satisfy your fall foliage itch - but don't discount the stunning scenery of Colorado, the Smoky Mountains and Northern California.
- Across the pond, the Scottish Highlands offers crisp evenings, a riot of color, and, of course, a nip of Scotch to warm you up after days spent exploring the breathtaking scenery.
- In France, head to Provence, where the wine harvest is in full swing in the fall, the tourists are at home and the weather is divine.
- Fall is also an ideal time for a river cruise along the Rhine River with AmaWaterways - where you can bike, hike or just sit on your private veranda and see castles and charming medieval towns nestled among amazing fall color.
- For serious Leaf Peepers here's a Foliage Prediction Map for the next few months.
Contact Houlahan Travel to plan your ideal fall getaway. Our team of advisors can recommend the best hotels, restaurants and off-the-beaten path experiences for you. email@example.com