Greece Your Way
A ripe tomato freshly picked. The musky scent of oregano and sage carried on the breeze. The faint jangle of goat bells. Moonlight over marble. These are the flavors, smells and sounds of Greece, a land of plenty, simplicity, and infinite variety. It’s easy to believe in myths and heroes here — even in the hot, vibrant mess of modern Athens, a 5,000-year-old city currently reinventing itself as Europe’s capital of creativity. From delicious Paros to mystical Patmos and hidden-away Zakynthos each of the Greek Islands is its own, distinct world. But don’t overlook the mainland, where ancient ruins and Byzantine monasteries are hidden among forests, lakes and snowy peaks. As Aristotle said, 'Adventure is worthwhile'.
Greece is a country best seen by water. No matter how you choose to explore a day (or two or five) on the Mediterranean is a must. Even if you aren't a fan of cruising there is an option for you.
- Windstar isn't cruising, it's yachting. Windstar's small ships let you explore the Greek Islands and the Turkish coast on a luxury yacht. Sail across the azure waters of the Aegean Sea visiting small hidden ports of Nafplio, Momemvasia, and Patmos on the mainland and explore the legendary islands of Santorini and Mykonos.
- Silversea offers a slightly bigger cruising option - 50 to 300 suites - without sacrificing the intimacy of a small ship. Accommodations are spacious, include butler service and ocean-view suites. On Silversea's Athens to Venice cruise you can enjoy the history of Athens, the breathtaking beauty of Santorini, the crystal clear beaches surrounding Cephalonia, and the lush topography of Corfu.
- Seabourn is a great choice if you are looking for a longer Greek islands cruise with 14-night voyages that include Skopelos, Naxos, Santorini and Kos, as well as stops in Malta and Sicily. Some itineraries also include stops in Croatia and Slovenia.
- If you are looking for more privacy - consider chartering your own private yacht and stop where you want and when you want. There's no better way to experience the laid back vibe of the Greek islands.
On a Guided Tour
A guided tour might be the best option for you if you are traveling with extended, multi-generational family members, younger kids, or if you are looking for an active adventure trip but you don't want to completely rough it.
- Backroads is one of the leading adventure vacation outfitters and their multi-adventure tour is the perfect way to explore Crete and Santorini. Bike quiet roads from Crete's rugged interior to the Aegean Sea, take in the iconic vistas of Santorini from your kayak, hike tranquil paths through striking gorges. As a reward for your hard work savor regional dishes or enjoy a glass of local wine while you experience the magical sunsets of Santorini.
- Adventures by Disney offers a terrific way to experience the history and beauty of Greece with kids. Their trip begins in Athens where your Junior Adventurers can compete for Olympic Gold in a mini-marathon. Moving on to Santorini, you and your kids will be marvel at the island's lunar landscape as you hike up the side of the volcano. In Crete learn the secrets of Greek cuisine, explore the birthplace of Zeus, or just unwind as you bask in the sun.
- Luxury tour operators, Tauck and Abercrombie & Kent offer small ship cruising with stops in Athens, the Peloponnese, and smaller islands including Patmos and Monemvasia, a small, rock-like island off the Peloponnese's east coast that was separated from the mainland by an earthquake around 375 AD.
Greece is the ideal destination for any type of travel experience you are looking for. Whether you are looking for a beach vacation, a history lesson, or a family get away let us put together the ideal trip for you.
- Family Vacation? Let your kids learn about Greek mythology by exploring the temples' of Athena and Poseidon or the site of the oracle of Delphi; or let them fish for your supper from the deck of a traditional, wooden fishing boat. Your kids can show off their dancing skills while learning a traditional Greek dance or two; or simply bike, swim or relax on a beach with your family.
- Looking for an Adventure? Hike to the top of Mount Olympus; participate in the Athens Marathon; cycle through the White Mountains on Crete, or scale the soaring cliffs of Meteora - a rock climber's mecca.
- If a Food and Wine vacation is what you are after, Greece will not disappoint. Enjoy private wine tastings at local vineyards, take a cooking class with an award-winning cookbook author, take a food tour in Athens where the food scene is booming, or simply indulge in the sun-kissed produce, freshly-caught fish and hand-crafted cheeses that are in abundance.
- If the Arts are more your thing there's plenty of that, too. Explore the street-art scene in Athens, visit contemporary art galleries with a local curator in Santorini, or get a crash-course in ancient art in the Athenian subway stations where recently unearthed artifacts are housed. Looking for a hands-on art experience? Fill your days with jewelry making, pottery throwing and painting workshops.
- History lesson? Join an archeological dig, take private tours of ancient temples and ruins, or explore the myriad museums, exhibits and historical sites to learn about the history of modern civilization.
Interested? Contact us for more information or to plan your ideal getaway. firstname.lastname@example.org