This compact country is big on culture, history and natural beauty, making it one of the hottest travel destinations in the past few years. Immerse yourself in the Old World charm of Lisbon, the vibrant capital city. Meander through the cobbled alleyways of the city's surrounding hilltop neighborhoods, savor exquisite Portuguese cuisine or indulge in the city’s legendary party scene. If you are looking for a more active vacation, Portugal's varied terrain offers a multitude of activities ranging from a leisurely bike ride past medieval castles and olive groves to kayaking past vineyards and ancient forests to surfing along Portugal’s stunning coastline.
Trip duration: 8 nights
Great for: Couples, groups, solo travel
Trip style: Adventure, foodies, culture
- Get lost in the maze of cobblestoned streets of Alfama, Lisbon's oldest neighborhood.
- Sail along the coast of Lisbon at sunset, sipping an assortment of Portuguese wines.
- Explore the Alentejo region on bikes, pedaling past cork trees and vineyards.
- Take a walking food and wine tour of Porto, sampling Portuguese delicacies and learning the history of the country.
- Learn the secrets of Portuguese cooking from a chef in his home.
- Indulge your taste buds in one of dozens of Michelin starred restaurants throughout the country.
- Spend the day drinking in the beauty scenery - and delicious port wine - in the Douro Valley region.